Autumn Winter Foundational Wardrobe Checklist
As we approach the cooler months, it’s timely to take stock of our current wardrobe and prepare our closets for ease of dressing. I’m dedicating a series of blog posts to get you fully prepped and primed for Autumn/Winter. Time to read up!
In this post I’ll cover the basics of a Foundational Wardrobe for the cooler months. Some call this a capsule wardrobe. These are the foundational pieces upon which many outfits can be created. Trend and Statement Pieces can be added in to bring you street style appeal.
Here we go, let’s begin at the base and work out way up!
1. Casual sneakers
2. Flats dressy/work – ballet/loafers
3. Boots – mid heel
1. Dark denim jeans– fitted
2. Light denim jeans – casual
3. Black jeans or ponte pants – fitted and stretchy
4. Trousers - neutral shade
5. Mid length skirt – denim/neutral
1. Basic tees - black, white and neutral of choice (tan for warm tone/grey for cool tone) – short/long sleeve depending on climate
2. Knits – fitted cashmere in black/neutral tone, oversized casual in neutral tone
3. Button up – solid neutral shade
4. Blouse – silk or quality fabric in another solid neutral shade
Dresses in shape of choice (I would generally choose A line/wrap, fit and flare for my hourglass shape)
1. Mid length sleeved
2. Maxi length sleeved
3. LBD winter appropriate fabric weight
1. Denim jacket – shade of choice
2. Leather/vegan leather jacket – biker/moto style with gunmetal or black hardware
3. Black blazer (for me, blazer lover, I’d add a tan blazer here)
4. Textured blazer ie plaid/check
5. Trench coat in tan
6. Puffer jacket / Casual sports luxe jacket (dependant on climate) in black
6. Coat (weight dependant on climate) in black/navy/tan or other neutral
1. Cross body with removable strap in neutral shade
2. Fit all handbag ie tote, shopper style in neutral shade
3. Evening bag in patent/acrylic in neutral shade
1. Scarf/Pashmina neutral
2. Sunglasses with solid black/tortoiseshell frame
3. Pearl/gold/silver/gem studs
4. Gold/silver drop/hoop earrings
How did you go? A few gaps? My tip is to add those gaps to a list on your phone (use the notes section or similar). This way, when you’re seeking some retail therapy, you can hone in on these items.
Over the coming weeks I’ll flesh out each area and give my picks of items you can click and shop to create your Foundational Wardrobe for Autumn Winter. Stay tuned!